Rules for Allocation of a License to use the .cy Domain Name
A license to use a Domain Name will only be granted under the following terms and conditions:
It is not already allocated to a third party and an application by a third party for the same Domain Name is not pending; It is understood that a first-come first-served principle applies and preference is given to Registrants who actually carry on business in Cyprus.
- It does not contain any obscene words and names incorporating foul language or names that do not comply with the Laws of Cyprus;
- It does not relate to politicians or political or historical activities or for which permission is required from a competent Cyprus Authority unless and except such permission is given and proven to us;
- It is not generic, sectoral or a fundamental name which identifies a branch, group, activity, professional or business sector. Issuing a License to use such a name could unfairly imply certain or exclusive rights appertaining to it. We will try to ensure that no domain name has an unfair advantage over another Issuing of such a License may only be issued under exceptional circumstances whereby the authority or entity representing the sector or group establishes a name allocation plan which preserves the rights in the names of all parties affected.
- ac.cy – Academic and research institutions.
- net.cy – Internet or Network service providers.
- gov.cy – Government (as interpreted at the international level)
- org.cy – Not for profit associations or societies which have been registered at the Registrar of Associations and Societies
- pro.cy – Professional organisations and associations.
- name.cy – Names of natural persons.
- ekloges.cy – Organisations or individuals affiliated with elections.
- tm.cy – Trademarks officially registered at the Registrar of Trademarks.
- ltd.cy – Private and Public companies with limited liability registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- biz.cy – Any other business which have been registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- press.cy – Press related organisations and entities
- parliament.cy – Cyprus House of Parliament and related entities.